Monday, May 10, 2004

Day 2 - Mumbai

so i've taken the *easy* way... as i'm having trouble connecting w/ spacekitty from here i've opted to use this pre-packaged format to post a travelogue of india. and that's an embaressing thing to say as a web programmer... but i don't have the time or patience for it right now.

anyhow. today is my second day in mumbai, and my last for now. tonight i'm taking a train to goa to spend a week on the beach. so my plans for today are to see a few museums and maybe do a little shopping.

i arrived yesterday morning after way too much time in airports and on planes. took my pre-paid taxi through the slums and crowds into the city and was able to find the hotel i wanted w/o much difficulty. "my room", if you can call it that was a little cubby with a bed and a ceiling fan. it also had a tv, though i didn't seem to get any channels....

i spent a lot of the first day napping on my bed under the fan in my underwear. i went out for a wander and some food. came back to my cubby for a little more napping. ate at the little restaurant upstairs and went to sleep.

at about 5 o'clock this morning i heard someone's alarm go off and then lights and tv come on. and of course the tv has to be loud to be heard over everyone's fans. so i dozed on and off for a while, trying to move out of my own sweat pools and finally got up around 7:30.

so i went to the train station to buy my ticket for tonight, a man out front told me i had to buy the ticket the day before and there was a bus i could take that would take the same time. i decided to check out the trains anyway, and shockingly was able to buy my ticket for tonight. when i came out of the station the same man tried to sell me a tour of mumbai.

but i've got my own plans.... and they include going to places that aren't filthy (art musuems must be a little clean, right?) and mostly sitting around in the shade.

No comments: