Friday, May 28, 2004

i'm sari i didn't write sooner...

so a pretty action packed day today. met the old english girls for breakfast again. two of them wanted to do this elephant thing tomorrow, and i've agreed to go with them. from what i understand we go in the morning and we get to play with some baby elephants, wash and feed them, then go for an actual elephant ride. sounds pretty groovy, i'm pretty excited. so i'm meeting them in a couple hours to actually book it.

after breakfast i went to a shop to look at saris. and i found a shop with a woman salesclerk (buying a sari from a man just seems wrong - what does he know? and i'm not having some random indian guy show me how to put it on) *and* the most lovely sari i've seen so far. it's - can you guess? - blue. silk. so beautiful. i'm very happy. but i needed to get an underskirt (this is essential to the sari staying put - it's basically just a cotton skirt with a tie waist) and a short blouse. so the woman from the shop actually took me to the bazaar and helped me get both things for good prices. so all together i paid about $43 for my sari. which sounds exhorbinant when you think about most hotels cost about $5 a night, but as far as beautiful clothes go, pretty good.

so my blouse is being made, and i'll go back to the shop around 5 and the lovely saleslady will help me put it on. then i'm going to see a kathakali dance performance, all glammed up indian style. so pretty exciting day for me. and best of all i have a pile of clean, laundered clothes in my room. :)

No comments: